I made this cake during the 49ers game last Sunday, go niners, with ingredients from my kitchen. I didn’t want to go to the store and miss the 49ers beat the Cardinals.
I was lucky to have really good homemade fig jam and two Gravenstein apples in the fridge. This cake is good plain but really good with hazelnut gelato.
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1/2 cup fig jam
1 teaspoon lemon juice
8″ metal baking pan
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter pan.
1. Mix together flour, baking powder and salt.
2. Mix together sliced apples, lemon juice and fig jam.
3. In an electric mixer beat together butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time. Beat well after each addition, then beat in vanilla extract. Mix in the flour mixture at a slow speed until just combined.
4. Spread batter evenly in pan, then evenly spread apple slice mixture over top.
Bake until cake is golden brown, cake will rise over fruit, 40-45 minutes.
5. Serve cake warm with gelato.