1 large bag of pears, about 30 medium size
9 cups of sugar
2 sticks cinnamon
3 tablespoons crystallized ginger
1 teaspoon whole cloves
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 cups water
1. Core and slice pears, peel if desired.
2. In a large heavy pot simmer pears, cinnamon sticks, ginger, cloves and 1 cup of water. Cook until tender.
3. Put the sugar and 2 cups of water in another heavy pot and bring to a boil. Cook for about 20 minutes until sugar turns light brown.
4. Pour the sugar into pears and cook uncovered for about 1& 1/2 hours, stirring frequently. The pears should be a deep golden color and thick like honey. Add lemon juice before taking off heat.
5. Ladle hot preserves into canning jars.